As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
They sell underwear organizers for drawers, but these are just as useful on a shelf. You can even use a utensil organiser or little baskets. Desktop drawers, shoe organizers, and adhesive hooks on the back of the closet door can be utilized for sock and underwear organization.
Handling deep dresser drawers is a problem that many people wish they had. There are myriad online video tutorials on how to fold your socks and underwear to fit precisely in your dresser. However, sometimes your budget or room size just does not allow for a dresser at all, forcing you to make another plan to add storage.
Don’t worry; you won’t have to find a shoebox, fill it with your delicates, and hide it under your bed. This article is your one-stop guide to a lot of affordable and easy alternatives for organizing your socks and underwear that don’t involve a dresser at all.
Not having a dresser might seem like a travesty. If you don’t have drawers, where are you supposed to keep your socks and underwear?
Well, as long as you have a closet with shelves that have some available space, you can still make do. These 3 Pack Sock Underwear Organizer Dividers (Amazon link) (pictured below) are an easy and affordable way to keep your delicates organized. You can just roll up your socks, and fold your underwear into small squares and slip them into one of the 64 compartments.
- 【VERSATILE & SAVE SPACE】Featuring with 64 slots in all, this 3 pack drawer organizers are perfect for you to organize sock, ties, belts, underwear, lingeries etc. Easily accessible to see the...
- 【DECENT SIZE & UNIQUE DESIGN】 You will receive 3 set cabinet organizers, each mesures 12.5"x12.5"x4" (32x32x10cm). Two of the boxes have 24 medium cells, one of them has 16 large cells for storing...
- 【PREMIUM QUALITY】 Made of durable PBT fabric and delicate stitchings, the storage organizers resists to dust, moisture and tear than non-woven cloth. And the high-density PP insert boards is...
- 【EASY TO ASSEMBLE】 The 3pcs collapsible sock storage boxes dresser drawer organization set are lightweight and you could fold or unfold them quickly with the zip on bottom. These organizer boxes...
Place these organizers on a dedicated shelf in your closet and you are good to go. Alternatively, you can slip these under your bed if you have enough clearance space to keep them out of sight, or even on the floor of your closet.
Hang Underwear on Hooks Inside the Closet Door
A great way to organize your underwear is by pasting a collection of hooks—such as the Command GP067-16NA (Amazon Link)—onto the inside of your closet door. They are terribly easy to install, just peel off the sticker and apply it to your closet door. Then you simply hang your underwear by the waistband on each hook. Space the hook out a bit more, and your bras can be stored like this too.
- INCLUDES - 16 hooks and 24 small indoor strips; 1 hook holds 1/2 lb
- ORGANIZE DAMAGE-FREE - Say goodbye to holes, marks, or sticky residue on your walls, doors, cabinets, or closets; Command Hooks by 3M are easy to use and help keep your walls looking beautiful
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED- Hang hats, calendars, keys, measuring spoons, cleaning tools, jewelry, and accessories where you want without nails or a hammer. Includes metal wire toggle feature for versatile...
- STRONG AND VERSATILE- Command Wire Hooks include hold strongly on a variety of indoor surfaces including painted walls, smooth ceilings, finished wood, glass, tile, metal, and other smooth surfaces
However, it might not be the most aesthetically pleasing way to organize, and you will have your delicates on display if you open your closet in front of a guest. Nevertheless, it is a way for you to see every item at once, and because they are not bulky items, you can still close your closet door easily.
Plus, you won’t ever have to spend those dreaded hours (okay, 10 minutes, but we all know it feels like an eternity) folding underwear again.
Sock and Underwear Baskets
Another great way to organize your underwear and socks is to purchase some organizer baskets, such as the homyfort Clothes Drawer Organizer Dividers (Amazon Link), which are an affordable choice.
- [Breathable Material]-made from smell-free premium non-woven breathable fabric with meticulous stitching and cardboard, excellent permeability and long lasty, can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth...
- [Perfect Size]-dresser drawer organizer measurements are 11" x 11" x 4", 5.5" x 5.5" x 4", 11" x 5.5" x 4" (2 of each size), the 6pcs collapsible storage boxes dresser drawer organizer set, solution...
- [Multipurpose]-dresser drawer organizer set of 6, can meet your storage needs, neatly store and classify underwear, socks, ties, bra, baby cloth, panties, belts in drawer organizer, you can move it...
- [Save Space and Keep Everything Neat]-dresser drawer organizer foldable organizer can save your space and keep things neat all the time. when you don't use the dresser drawer organizer , you can...
These baskets are perfect for storing smaller clothing items such as your socks and underwear because smaller baskets can fit in front of your other clothing on your shelves. They are also long and narrow enough to fit between piles of clothes, or you can get larger baskets to span the entire shelf if you can afford to lose the space.
It is better to get a couple of small or medium baskets than one giant one as your items will get easily lost and disorganized in a larger space—you might as well put them directly on the shelf. You can separate your socks and underwear easily into smaller baskets, keeping the old, holey socks you just can’t seem to part with separate from your work socks.
Okay, don’t freak out. I’m not telling you to keep your forks and knives in your bedroom so you can use the drawer in the kitchen for your delicates! I am telling you that some storage tools are that keep your utensils neat and tidy can also be used to organize your socks and underwear.
Find deep utensil organizers, such as the iDesign Linus Kitchen Drawer Organizer (Amazon Link) or the BINO 5-Slot Silverware Organizer (Amazon Link), and fold your socks and underwear into small, even-sized squares. Place them in neat rows in these organizers and simply place the organizers on a free shelf in your closet.
- ORGANIZE YOUR HOME: Store your spatulas, ladles, can openers, salad tongs, bottle openers, makeup brushes, cosmetics, combs, glasses, tweezers, toothbrushes, pens, pencils, and scissors. Ideal for...
- LOW-PROFILE DESIGN: Short bin walls make the organizers perfect for in-drawer use
- EASY VISIBILITY: Transparent durable plastic walls allow you to easily view box contents
- STURDY: Non-skid silicone feet prevent organizer from sliding in your drawers or on your countertop
- KEEP YOUR KITCHEN ORGANIIZED- BINO’s 5 compartment cutlery tray organizer is the perfect solution for keeping flatware neatly organized. With our Organizer your kitchen will see an instant upgrade...
- PREMIUM QUALITY- BINO’s organizer is made from strong and durable BPA free clear plastic. Each compartment is lined with removable rubber inserts that keep items from sliding around, and protects...
- UNIQUE DESIGN- Soft rounded corners and interior overmold make this cutlery tray not only highly functional - but also aesthetically appealing; A step up to standard plastic cutlery trays. We believe...
- STORE IT ALL- Peaked compartments separate teaspoons from tablespoons and salad forks from dinner forks and offers a larger option for the 5th compartment
It is important to ensure that you get one whose compartments are sized appropriately for your needs. Don’t get a small, shallow one if you know your Christmas Sock collection won’t fit neatly.
If you have some shelf space in your closet, or even in your master bathroom, a great way to store your socks and underwear in an organized way is to buy some desktop drawers.
Place them on an open shelf and simply fold your socks and underwear small enough so they fit into the drawer. Then, when you need a clean pair, simply open the small drawer, and voila! Who needs a dresser?
The IRIS USA MSD-1 Stackable Plastic Storage Drawers (Amazon link) are a great option as they come in a pack of four, so you can easily separate all your socks from your delicates and keep them tidy. They are also see-through, allowing you to easily see what is in each drawer without having to open them each time.
- MULTI-PURPOSE ORGANIZER: Store a variety of household items that are frequently used in the bedroom, kitchen pantry, under-sink bathroom, craft room, nursery, or dorm room.
- PERFECT STORAGE SOLUTION: A practical storage solution for any room of your home. You can organize and store clothes for your closet, toiletries for your bathroom, office supplies for your desk, and...
- STACKABLE: Designed to stack securely, you can fit multiple units together to build customized storage any way you want it.
- MADE IN USA: High-quality materials are used for our domestically-manufactured products. The sturdy plastic makes these durable, and the smooth glide drawers give you easy access to contents. We use...
Another great option is the EasyPAG Mesh Desk Supplies Organizer with 3 Drawer Office Desktop Organizers and Accessories Stationery Caddy (Amazon Link). These are large enough to keep your items folded neatly inside, and their stylish mesh design is a great way to keep with the aesthetics in your room.
- Popular design metal desk organizer with 3 drawer
- Holds your post-it notes, paper clips and staple puller which small easy to lost
- Made of sturdy mesh metal and will not crack, chip or break if dropped
- Mesh design allows you to see what is stored in the compartments from the side
Hanging Shoe Organizers
Here is yet another multi-purpose storage tool that you definitely need in your home. Hanging shoe organizers are an affordable and really easy way to store your underwear and socks. They come in a variety of colors and designs so you will definitely be spoilt for choice.
The MISSLO Over The Door Shoe Organizer 24 Large Mesh Pockets (Amazon Link) can easily fit on the inside of your closet door. The transparent sleeves allow you to see exactly what you are looking for, and the pockets are large so you can fit two or three pairs of socks in each one!
- 24 roomy clear see through mesh pockets organizes up to 12 pairs of men size 13 shoes;
- 4 over the door hooks included, the maximum width of door that fits the hook is 1.65 inches, home door fitted, also wall mount by other ways;
- The door hanger shoe rack could easily be cut in half horizontally, and can be fold very small for travel storage;
- Perfect behind door shoe holder for organizing shoes, sneaker, bathroom, pantry, kitchen and cleaning supplies, toys and barbie dolls and accessories;
If you have some free hanging space in your closet, another great option is the Hanging Shoe Organizer for Closets 10-Tier Hanging Shelf Closet Storage Organizer Accessories Space Saving Shoe Rack (Amazon Link). You can easily fit all of your socks and underwear through the large openings, and you can store more than one pair per shelf. The entire organizer simply hooks onto the rod in your closet, so it is an easy addition to your space.
- 【10-Shelf Closet Shoe Organizer】Consists of 10 foldable compartments with 10 sided mesh pockets, plenty for 10 pairs of shoes, such as sneakers, flats, slippers, and sandals, this hanging shoe...
- 【Durable & Washable Material】This shoes organizer for closet is made of 100% natural and breathable PPNW fabric, durable, lightweight, and washable, professionally stitched, reinforced seams for...
- 【Load-bearing Capacity】Our baby shoe organizer comes with 2 metal hooks for standard clothes rails, each compartment of this kids shoe organizers is separated by a rigid board, and each layer...
- 【Multipurpose Usage】This shoe rack closet is ideal for footwear, but also great for other accessories and clothing. Sided mesh pockets add extra space for storing purses, gloves, etc.
Install a Short Shelf Above Your Regular Shelves
Another great way to maximize the space you do have is to install a short shelf above your normal shelves in your closet. These shelves will only extend about halfway from the back of the closet so they won’t interfere with the visibility of your clothing.
The eLhook Stick On Small Wall Shelf (Amazon Link) is a perfect and affordable option as it can easily stick on the inside of your closet. The removable strips mean you can also easily uninstall the shelves if you move or get alternative storage options.
- NOW MADE IN THE USA! SECURELY STAYS AND STICKS ON YOUR WALL | eLhook stick on shelves firmly stick on any flat surface. The shelf comes with six removable adhesive strips for easy installation, which...
- 8 LB CAPACITY AND 45 INCHES OF SURFACE AREA | These floating small shelves are ideal for small items such as phones, keys, wallets, sunglasses, and other essentials. However, with 45 inches of surface...
- SLIM DESIGN WITH AMPLE SPACE | The shelf's minimalistic design works great in any setting. Use it in your entryway, kitchen, dorm room, bedroom, garage, bathroom, or any other place where you need...
- LIPPED EDGE TO SECURE YOUR ITEMS | The functional yet straightforward small lip edge design helps ensure your items will not slip from the shelf.
These are a great choice if you have a lot of wasted space above your clothing in your closet. You can neatly pack your underwear and socks in baskets or other organizers and simply slide them on and off the shelf as need be.
Here is a great video that guides you on how to install a basic shelf in your home!
Another place where a lack of drawers often poses a problem is in the kitchen for your utensils, but that’s another story—or at least, it’s another article!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.