As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Drylok products that can be sprayed on are Extreme, Floor and Wall, Siloxane 7, Natural Look Curing Membrane, WetLook, Protector, Latex Bonding Agent, and Concrete and Masonry Liquid Etch & Cleaner. Original, Powdered Masonry Waterproofer, E1 Latex 1-Part Epoxy, and Concrete Floor Paint can’t be sprayed on.
Spraying products like paint and waterproofing can save a lot of time, so it is natural to incline to this option when we are stuck for time or have large areas to cover. The only problem is, not all formulas are suitable for sprayer application.
Below you will find a complete list of sprayable Drylok products together with safety precautions and tips and tricks for their application.
Drylok Products That Can and Cannot Be Sprayed
What to Use to Spray Drylok?
Generally, it is better to apply Drylok with a heavy-duty sprayer as the products are quite thick. But each formula comes with specific requirements. Drylok recommends Graco sprayers for a majority of its products.
For Drylok Extreme, the ideal spray pressure is between 2200-2500 psi, and the tip size should be .019. Graco ProX19 is the cheapest Graco product that complies with these specifications.
- CONTROL PAINT FLOW: Fully adjustable pressure to give you ultimate control of paint flow for any project size; RAC IV SwitchTip allows you to reverse the tip when clogged to keep you spraying
- FILTERS DEBRIS FOR FEWER CLOGS: InstaClean pump filter - added pump filtration reduces tip clogs from debris in the paint
- SPRAY PAINT UNTHINNED: ProX Stainless Steel Piston Pump allows you to spray paint unthinned at high pressure
- SPRAY DIRECTLY FROM PAINT BUCKET: Flexible suction tube allows you to spray directly from a 1 or 5 gallon paint bucket
However, the ProX19 won’t be enough for Drylok Floor & Wall because this formula needs a tip size from .031 to .035. Unless you want to buy a professional contractor sprayer, like the GMAX 5900, it would be best to rent one out from your local shop.
An acid-resistant sprayer is required to apply Drylok Concrete Masonry Liquid Etch & Cleaner.
- 2-Gallon translucent poly tank with 4-inch wide mouth opening for easy filling and cleaning
- Designed specifically for acid stain applications
- Acid and chemical resistant seals and gaskets and pressure relief valve
- Shut off has lock-off feature to prevent accidental disharge
Should I Thin the Drylok Before Spraying It?
While at first, thinning the thicker Drylok products can seem like a good solution, it is better not to do so.
Almost all Drylok products specifically state in their application guides to not thin them.
Instead, you should stir them thoroughly both before and during application. They may appear milky while still in the can, but they dry clear once applied.
There are a few exceptions. For example, DRYLOK® Latex Bonding Agent can be mixed with water and added to Powdered Masonry Waterproofer. In that case, it is not suitable for spraying.
Safety Tips for Spraying Drylok
While spraying Drylok products, you may be exposed to harmful vapors, or you might accidentally cover surfaces you didn’t mean to.
Therefore, you need to follow recommended safety rules in order to prevent any harm from happening to you, others, or your property.
Protecting Your Body
Because some substances used in Drylok can be harmful if they get into your system, you must protect yourself.
The idea is to avoid contact with eyes or skin and to prevent inhaling fumes. Thus, you should wear appropriately covering clothing, eye goggles, protective gloves, even protective footwear, and a face shield in some cases.
Most importantly, you need a mask that is able to stop vapors, not just a simple dust mask.
You can try the 3M respirator (pictured below) with these filters (amazon link). It is highly recommended for its durability and comfort. The filters are NIOSH approved against certain organic vapors.
- EASY ON AND OFF: Quick Latch Design Offers an Easy, 1 Hand Touch Drop Down Mechanism for Putting the Face Piece on and Off While Moving in and Out of Contaminated Areas
- COMFORTABLE: Adjustable Head Harness Assembly Promotes a Comfortable Fit With 3 Size Adjustable Head Cradle; Long Lasting Polyester/Spandex Straps
- COOL COMFORT: Proprietary 3M Cool Flow Valve Is Designed for Easy Exhalation to Help Keep the Wearer More Comfortable
- DURABLE: Resilient Silicone Faceseal Provides Comfort, Durability, and Stability With a Soft but Firm Seal. Keeps Its Shape in High Heat Environments
And for safety glasses, try the 3M Virtua CSS. As you can see from the image, these goggles are sleek and will not engulf your face or stop you from wearing a respirator mask simultaneously. They also offer anti-fog coating and a wraparound design for maximum protection.
- DUST DEFENSE: Foam gasket helps limit eye exposure to nuisance dust and other particles while providing additional cushioning.
- WRAP AROUND DESIGN provides extended eye protection and unobstructed viewing.
- ANTI-FOG LENS COATING and removable foam-lined gasket with airflow vents make this protective eyewear ideal for humid environments.
- CORDED EAR PLUG CONTROL SYSTEM: Unique temple design can keep eyewear and ear plugs attached, untangled, and ready to use. Corded ear plugs can double as a lanyard (ear plugs sold separately).
These safety requirements apply to all products, even more so for the more aggressive ones like the DRYLOK® Concrete and Masonry Liquid Etch & Cleaner.
In case the formulas touch your skin, wash it with plenty of soap and water. In more serious situations, like eye contact, ingestion or inhalation, consider seeking out a medical professional.
Ensuring Proper Ventilation
Proper ventilation is another precaution against vapor overexposure. In fact, when view from an official occupational health and safety point of view, it is more important than the PPE listed above (but that doesn’t mean you should forgo the PPE!). Additionally, it could help shorten the drying time.
Make sure fresh air can enter and “old” air can leave throughout the whole application and drying process to reduce the level of any toxic fumes in the room.
If you don’t have access to any windows, you can use an exhaust fan. Check out this article for more tips on safety and ventilation while painting.
In case you experience symptoms of harmful vapor inhalation (difficulty breathing, dizziness, headache, or nausea), go out into fresh air immediately. Seek medical assistance if the symptoms continue or get worse.
Protecting the Area
Holding and using the sprayer properly can help prevent accidents.
For most Drylok products, it is recommended to remove any filters the sprayer might have and hold it at an angle approximately 12” (30 cm) from the surface.
Wood and glass surfaces should ideally be protected by a cover.
If Drylok formulas spill or land on something they shouldn’t have, use an absorbent material to soak up the product. You can use, for example, sand, cat litter, or any absorbent fabric.
Once the majority of the formula is contained, properly clean the surface with soapy water (for Liquid Etch & Cleaner use just water).
Finally, safely dispose of the absorbent materials according to your local regulations.
Allow to Dry Properly Before Using the Room
When applying Drylok formulas, always wait the recommended time between coats. The fastest way to ruin your work is to spray on more coats or additional products before the first one’s had enough time to dry.
The same goes for using the room too soon after application. You could accidentally smudge the formula and stain yourself or things in the room.
Plus, it is not good to spend too much time there before all the fumes are eliminated. Thus, you should usually avoid the room for 1-3 days.
To speed up the drying time, use the formulas on a rain-free day with the air and surface temperatures reaching at least 50°F (10°C). And, of course, keep the room well ventilated.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.